Monday, April 21, 2008

The Micro Cache & My Future Goals

I'm positive that everyone in the geocaching world has come across a micro. I was in conversation with Catlon at the Winton Woods Afterparty about micro caches where he stated, "They should be a league all of their own," and I agree with this statement. As the pin pictured states, "Love to hate 'em! Hate to love 'em!" It's very true. Micros are one of the types of caches that frustrate me beyond belief, but I love finding them. With micros being so small, they can be just about anywhere. Not only do you end up looking for a standard container - film canisters, bison tubes, nanos, or the like...but now people have moved to fake rebar, fake pinecones, hollowed out bolts, logs on the backside of magnets, and lots of other devious hides. It's smart in a hiding sense. I mean, you can only hide a regular or a small so well, however, there are almost endless possibilities to hide a devilish micro. I've become fascinated with these little guys.

I've spent my first 4 months - 800 caches grabbing lots of micros. 44.5% to be more accurate. A lot of those micros would be considered "P&G's" (Park and grabs). P&G's would typically just be number building, and don't provide a whole lot of excitement. Now I don't pride myself in getting number runs, but I like the way Ranger Fox put it in his profile, "
To me, the number game is more like the paperwork I do before I can go off and do what really matters--terrain." I feel like I've been doing paperwork for the last 4 months of caching, which I think is good. I started caching with the goal of getting 1,000 by the end of the year. With the rate I'm going, I should reach that by the end of May, having completed over half of my matrix - the lower half. Now with summer approaching I have the chance to go after some terrains. My new goals for 2008 consist of:
1) Reaching 2,000 caches
2) Completing my Difficulty/Terrain Matrix
3) Complete more Multi's
I can't think of a current cache I would call my "favorite". In looking at my favorite bookmark list, you'd see they are mostly well hidden micros. Looking at Slammer47 or Ranger Fox's profiles encourage me and get me pining for some real challenges. Half of the caches on Slammer47's favorite bookmark are now listed on my "I Can't Forget to Do These!" Bookmark. It is these cachers, and those like them, that make me see there is a lot out there I haven't seen...and need to. Luckily, Slammer47 is from the Dayton area, which is just around an hour from me. This summer hopefully will be filled with lots of weekend trips to Dayton to start clearing out that area.

Lately, I've been able to go caching with Abuhhhh and before that my friend ydissac. Abuhhhhh and I have decided this summer we'll start making trips - for number runs, and for terrain challenges. I rarely get myself to do multi's, however it seems people have the most fun on a good multi. Abuhhhh and I have decided we will work on knocking out hard terrains, challenging multis, and really scenic/good quality caches. I feel that geocaching is the thing that has finally got me out into nature like I've been wanting to do for the past 3 years. I've told myself each year I was going to buy a nice pair of boots and camping gear to get out and hike and camp. Well, now I'm finally doing it. I have a feeling the rest of this year will make for some very memorable sites and caches, and now that the blog is up, hopefully I'll have a way to remember it all.

No comments: