Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Brian's first boat...ish.


I'd say the title says it all. I got myself my first boat...ish. A new cache popped up last night right on the coast of Ft. Thomas, only a few miles from where I live. It was called "Red red robin comes bob, bob, bobbin' along" - GC1DF5N. It was also a 1.5/5. I decided that I wanted to be FTF, and I also needed it for my Difficulty/Terrain matrix. Plus, I have yet to complete an Island cache or a cache that involves a boat or watercraft...so now seemed like the perfect first time. I went to Bass Pro and bought two inflatable boats, one for me, and one for Sommer Family. Here is my log for the cache:

Last night I saw this cache pop up and just knew I wanted to get it. I wanted to get it because it was a few miles from me. I wanted to get a FTF. I wanted to get a 5 terrain. I wanted to get another spot filled on my D/T chart. There was no reason I shouldn't go. So...what did I do? I went to Bass Pro and bought 2 inflatable boats (rafts) and called Sommer Family, "Hey Sommers....good night for a swim, eh?" Needless to say they were all for it. 7:30 rolls around and we embark on our journey. We set off from Brent Ferry about .64 away, march down the shore awhile, and finally decided to go in.

Red Red Robin wasn' really the song that was in my mind. Actually, It was Primus' "Sailing the Seas of Cheese" album that kept coming to mind. Just...sifting through that curdled mess of goop. I mean, I know people talk about how polluted the Ohio is...and how nasty it is...and about the mutated fish and what not, but is it really true? The answer is yes. If only you could see the dead fish we saw on the bank before going in. About 2 feet long....and hair all on it's back. Some mammalian sea creature I suppose. Anyways, back to the story.


So...it has been awhile since I've been kayaking or even canoing for that matter. I had to get back into the motion. Here is how it went tonight:


Paddle in the water.
Stroke.
Paddle out of the water.
Hit Phil in the head.
Paddle in the water.
Stroke.
Paddle out of the water.
Hit Phil in the head.
Paddle in the water.
Stroke.
Stroke.
Wait...why is this spinning?
It's spinning.
Still spinning.
Like Kobe Bryant in the playoffs spinning.
Okay back on track.


And another hit to Phil's head for the heck of it.


Anyways...so we get 234 feet from the cache GZ and what do we find, A DECOY! HOW DECEPTIVE! (not really....but we did find a floating pill container, and we kept it for evidence)

Eventually....the two twinks in the little raft looking thing among all the speed boats filled with people staring at us like two twinks in a little raft looking thing spotted the cache location, made the grab, and signed the log. Approximately 8:30PM...FTF!


Thanks for the adventure. Upstream back was definitely easier, and a little rewarding.


Now if you will excuse me...I have a shower and 16 Advil calling my name.


TFTC!


#1443


No comments: